Look, I don’t use the term “lock” lightly. And I really don’t like throwing around a “lock of the season.” I for sure don’t like declaring a lock of the season on the OPENING week of the season. But, here we are.
A&M not covering the -34.5 spread Week 1 against Texas State is THE lock of the season. Here’s why:
- Its A&M. This one speaks for itself.
- A&M looks so bad right now Coach Jimbo is straight up cancelling practices. Just tired of watching his team be so shitty. Not a good look:
I cannot confirm this but I’m 99.9% sure no team has ever covered a -34.5 spread after their coach canceled practice two weeks before the season due to the team looking so fucking awful.
3. A&M has a monster game against Clemson week two. No doubt they’ll be looking ahead to that game and will not have their focus on the mighty Bobcats of Texas State Week 1.
4. If you are a Texas State football player this is your Super Bowl. Probably 90% of their roster is from the state of Texas. These guys all had dreams and ambitions to play for A&M or UT but were never recruited or offered a scholarship. They feel disrespected. Snubbed. Have a chip on their shoulder. Each player on Texas State wants to go out and show A&M why they made a big mistake not recruiting/offering them. Not to mention, all their families will be in attendance for this game because as I said earlier, this is their Super Bowl/Championship. Their moms, dads, sisters, brothers, girlfriends and maybe even boyfriends will be in the stands to watch them play the biggest game of their careers.
5. History repeats itself. Last time A&M and Texas State met up was in ’05, A&M only won that game by 13 points (44-31). Texas State’s Offensive Coordinator at the time, Coach Tom Herman. The Bobcats went on to finish the year with a 11-3 record and were Southland Conference co-Champions with Nicholls State. Interesting. But wait, there’s more. In ’05, the A&M v. Texas State game had to be moved from Saturday to Thursday due to Hurricane Rita. This year, the game has also been moved from Saturday to Thursday:
Texas A&M University President Michael K. Young announced Wednesday afternoon the Aggies season opener against Texas State has been moved to Thursday, Aug. 29. The game was originally scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 31. “We have agreed to this Thursday game as, similar to last year, this opportunity allows us to highlight our university and wonderful student athletes for a national audience,” Young wrote in a statement.
Yo, Preident Michael Young, do you believe in history repeating itself? Because I do. And if you do too, then y’all not covering the -34.5 spread and potentially losing to Texas State will definitely NOT highlight your program to a national audience. Quite the opposite actually.
Bottom line, call your bookie/login to your account and place the bet: Texas State +34.5.